Our Occupational Therapists provide individualized care using evidence-based, comprehensive and innovative assessments so that we can help determine what recommendations are best for you…
- Determine the level of functional independence and support required in the home and community for persons with disabilities, such as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder and seniors.
- Develop a physical, cognitive and/or mental health functional profile outlining abilities, impairments, and skill deficits that are barriers to participation in daily living and community life.
- Identify level and types of supports required for independent, semi-supported or supported living
- Assessments target activities of daily living, home management, meal preparation and management, grocery shopping, money management, and leisure
Functional Capacity Evaluation
- At Green Tree Rehabilitation, we are highly experienced in conducting Functional Capacity Evaluations, which are usually one-day evaluations focused on physical function related to musculoskeletal strength, endurance, speed, and flexibility. The results can be used as a baseline to plan an individual's transition from injury to employment.
- FCEs can be used to judge physical effort and predict the client’s ability to return to work. These evaluations provide objective information about the client’s current abilities to perform work tasks and activities of daily living. During the FCE, the client will be asked to perform activities, such as lifting, pushing and pulling, repetitive tasks using the upper extremities, finger manipulation tasks and tasks assessing postural tolerances. The FCE will provide a comprehensive report with specific recommendations for rehabilitation potential and plans, return to work status, equipment recommendations, job modifications, and graduated return to work schedules. FCEs are widely used in insurance, occupational, and rehabilitation medicine.
Cognitive Functional Capacity Evaluations
- At Green Tree Rehabilitation we recognize that persons with brain injuries, chronic pain, and mental health conditions can face challenges that go beyond the physical body. Therefore, it is important that individuals with these conditions go through a thorough assessment of their cognitive and perceptual (including visuospatial) abilities, in addition to their physical capabilities.
- While traditional FCEs measure the physical abilities affect by injuries and accidents, Cognitive FCEs accommodate for cognitive and/or behavioural challenges. In addition to physical function and effort, Cognitive FCEs assess cognitive, perceptual /sensory, communicative, psycho-emotional and behavioral function and are objective assessments, which measure the impact of cognitive changes. Cognitive FCEs provide recommendations to accommodate or minimize the condition.
Home Health Assessments
- Assessments involve the prescription of adaptive aids and mobility equipment to enable clients to participate safely in self-care activities, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, and toileting. The assessment and related consultation with equipment vendors and funding sources can usually be completed in 2-3 home visits.
- The assessment encompasses all aspects of a Home Safety Assessment and adds a detailed assessment of the client’s ability to perform self-care and home management tasks. Client requirements for home support, attendant care, home modifications and transportation assistance are also provided.
Work Capacity Evaluations
- Job specific FCEs are a type of customized FCE conducted by Green Tree Rehabilitation that assesses function and tolerance in relation to a known job. The client’s functions and tolerances demonstrated during the evaluation will be compared to functions that are intrinsic to a specific job. Areas that will be assessed include the client’s abilities, limitation, and tolerances, effort, pain and disability reports, and work readiness. Results from the evaluation will be used to inform a graduated return to work schedule, the necessary accommodations and ergonomics necessary for the job, and rehabilitation potential. The need for redeployment or retirement due to illness will also be assessed.
- A Job Demands Analysis conducted during the evaluation will be used to determine the physical, cognitive and environmental demands required by a specific job.
Ergonomics Assessments & Services (Office/Industrial)
- When a client is experiencing pain and discomfort in the workplace, an ergonomics assessment is often recommended. During the assessment, our Occupational Therapists will identify risk factors to determine the causes of discomfort and pain so that recommendations can be made. Ergonomic assessments benefit employers and employees by increasing worker efficiency and safety in an environment that is suited for the client’s needs.
- Recommendations may include changing body positioning, prescribing assistive devices and equipment, product design and altering workplaces to prevent injury.
Neuro-rehabilitation targets visual perceptual, sensory re-integration, visual cognition, physical and motor coordination skills in a functional context. 90% of persons who have sustained a brain injury (including concussion) and 86.7% of individuals who sustained a stroke presented with vision problems.